- Height classes will be determined based on the number of competitors.
- Only overall class winners in the open division will qualify for professional status. There must be competitors in each open division weight class to have an overall winner.
Judging Criteria and Standards: Men’s Physique
- Muscularity and Conditioning
- Judges will be looking for fit contestants who display proper shape and symmetry combined with muscularity and overall condition.
- This is not a bodybuilding contest so extreme muscularity will be marked down.
- Stage Presence and Personality
- Judges are looking for the contestant with the best stage presence and poise who can successfully convey his personality to the audience.
- Does the competitor display his physique to its best advantage?
- Are the poses executed well, and is there flow from pose to pose?
- Contestants will be asked to walk in board shorts (shorts must be just above the knee in length and can be one inch below the belly button, no spandex and no logos are permitted on the board shorts however a manufacturer’s logo such as Nike symbol or Billabong are acceptable.)
- Judges are looking for the contestant with the best stage presence and poise who convey his personality to the audience.
- Competitors will enter the stage without a shirt and barefoot.
- No jewelry (except for wedding rings)
- Competitors should use a tanning product to improve appearance under the bright stage lights.
- Also considered: grooming, posture, charisma, skin tone.
Open to NATURAL Amateur athletes who hold a current NGA card. If you are a current member, please bring your membership card. If you are not a current member, you can join online at www.nationalgym.com.
To compete in the Pro division, a competitor must have won the Overall award at an NGA-sanctioned event. He or she should have a current NGA Pro card. (Spring Show ONLY)
Saturday May 6th (This includes all Amateur Physique divisions)
- Contest Check-In – 7am
- Pre-Judging – 9am
- Evening Awards Show – 5pm
At check-in, competitors will receive their contest t-shirt and goodie bag. Please bring your polygraph receipt and NGA membership card to check-in (in case we need to verify any additional information)
Competitors will come on stage with everyone in their same height class. The judges will ask the competitors to make their turns: front, and rear. Competitors should be in semi-flexed, relaxed poses at this time. The judges may ask competitors to change order or to move forward or back in order to make comparisons. Competitors should follow the judges’ instructions.
The morning prejudging will be your biggest opportunity to show yourself on stage, and it is at this time that you should encourage your friends and family who are planning on attending the event to come and watch.
Prejudging can be an exhausting task, and a competitor can be on stage for quite a long time. But it is this time when most of the judging actually happens. The evening show is just what it describes: it is an evening “show” for the audience.
All competitors will do their walk on stage one at a time.
The top five competitors come out onto the stage together for presentation of awards.
- First five places each weight class will receive NEILS ANDERSON Sculptures and Medallions